Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Eat to Run

As you've all read Kris is training for her first half marathon! K-R-I-S, Go Kris Go!!!! Running a race, especially anything over 10 miles, is an exciting and exhausting achievement.  I can't wait to hear how she does September 18th (stay tuned).          

I am also a fellow runner, although not currently training for anything. I started off running track in high school, short distance sprints ( an 800 was LONG for me) and I've always run many miles with my soccer endeavors.  In college I dabbled with running longer mileage but would cap it at 30 minutes. Ahhh the days of exercising 30 minutes a day, I remember those!!    

Shortly after I had my second child I realized how crazy life was with two children under the age of 18 months. I started running for two reasons: 1) It was the only time I had to myself  2) I lost so much of my core strength and endurance with back to back pregnancies I needed my strength back.  I've run 5 half marathons, many 10 milers and more than I can count 10 Ks, 5 milers, and 5 K's. My closet is lined with ribbons, medals, and trophies and even some podium awards.

Once I felt I mastered my running goals, and tired or runners knee,  I started competing in triathlons. What a challenge! I was stoked to make the podium multiple times.  I'm not writing this to boast about myself, although as I read this I am reminding myself I'm pretty bad ass. I'm using this as a segway to talk about one of the very key pieces to my success: NUTRITION.    

I know what you're thinking, does nutrition really matter when it comes to performance or does she just think so because she is a dietitian? I'm here to tell you YES it does!                

In the next couple of weeks we are going to talk about sports nutrition, specifically half marathons and marathons - Tis the Season.'  Not only do I walk the walk, or should I say run the run but I also specialize in sports nutrition where I've worked with THOUSANDS of athletes ranging from your average man/woman, professional athletes, collegiate athletes, high school athletes and children.                
                                                                                                                                         
To get you into the right mind frame for our sports nutrition series I want you to take a look at a couple of these facts and think about them until we get into the nitty gritty.      
 
1) Most athletes or avid exercisers (that's you) are not eating enough. This is actually causing you to  gain weight or preventing you to lose weight.

2) Ok, so you think you are eating enough because my fitness pal told you so. Well, you may not be eating the right macronutrients (carbohydrates, fat, protein) which will also negatively affect your metabolism.                                                                    

3) Timing is everything!  If you aren't timing your meal,s prefuel, and recovery, again you may be negatively affecting your metabolism.          

4) Hydration matters. Yes I'm like a broken record. Research shows that runners bonk quicker from dehydration than fuel.                                                                      

5) Long distance runners: you've got to find a way to train your nutrition. You shouldn't be running without eating (dependent on distance) period.      

Stay tuned in the next weeks as we kick off the nutrition side of things with those Crazy Carbohydrates. GASP!!! They aren't poisonous I promise!                


In Good Health,
 Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment