Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What if your body is trying to tell you something? Are you listening?



After recently completing 2 half marathons in 2 weeks, I am reflecting on some things that I have learned or thought about on my journey to the finish line. 

My body had been trying for awhile to tell me something, but I wasn't listening.

Amy and I post about carbs, hydration, & vitamin D and you probably read the blogs, but think to yourself "Yeah, I do that already,"  "I don't feel dehydrated," or " I think I do get enough Vitamin D."

Yeah, I read the same blogs and think the same things, but not until I started to train for 13.1 miles, did I realize I had no idea how wrong I was.  I never realized all the things my body was missing and what I was doing wrong.  I work out regularly, but it wasn't until I stepped out of my comfort zone that I realized I was further away from what my body really needs than I thought.

How many of us want to feel less tired, lose weight, or even just feel stronger to carry out our daily activities?  The best way, I have learned from this half marathon training, is to push yourself to do something out of your comfort zone and you will find out. Your body will push back and let you know.  

I am not suggesting everyone has to run 13.1 miles to figure this out, but here I was, a healthcare provider, thinking I have the background knowledge to live a pretty healthy lifestyle. Stay hydrated, eat your fruits and vegetables, watch your sugar intake, get plenty of exercise.  I know all the tag lines, yet I was just not there.

Six months ago, I felt like I was depressed.  I just felt in a rut and anxiety was starting to really take hold.  I was close to calling my primary care doctor.  That's when I got the phone call.  My very strong and beautiful friend called me and said she was running in a half marathon and instead of watching her, I decided to challenge myself and RUN.  It was one of the best decisions I ever made.  I didn't run for time.  I didn't run for bragging rights.  I ran for me.

I went back and read some of our blogs again.  I realized how much more I got out of them this time around.  I need to fuel my body better.  I needed to hydrate much, much more.  I don't feel so guilty about those extra carbs these days.

Get to know your body better.  It will tell you what it needs.  You may be surprised at the answers.  What if the solutions to a lot of our problems are answers we can find within ourselves?


On that note, Wait until next blog when you Meet Marci! She kicks ass and inspires so many women, and by the way, she is a mom of two boys! Stay tuned for her upcoming blog on muscle & strength training to hear her thoughts how it may be just what you need and how you can balance it all.

In good health,

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment